Thursday, August 04, 2005

Trip to Bajrajogini


I had been meaning to write about the visit to the Bajrajogini temple at Sankhu. It is actually quite well maintained. Our family's 'kul deuta' is in the Bajrajogini temple. This means, every april our whole family (as in including my father's cousins, etc. - about 100 people?) go to the temple.


The temple is located at the top of a hill. There is an option to drive up the hill in a steep slope of a road. However, we always park on the foot of the hill, and walk about 10-15 minutes up the series of stone-paved steps, as shown in the pic.

There are many small temples and statues on the way, and the path is surrounded by green thick forest. There are many monkeys around, who tend to attack on groups, but only to those walking alone. My cousin had a bad experience, which I will not write at this moment ;)
This year, I took a digital camera with me, my thumbs in the trigger, ready to shoot at touristy sights.



This was pretty amazing, something I had never seen before. This is the torso of quite an old uprooted tree, and you can see the roots that are clutching the big stones. The whole thing is about as tall as my waist, and quite thick.


I love this small stupa. It is situated about in the middle of the stone path, so that people can walk around it- I think it is considered unlucky to walk from its right side. The fact that it sits still there for a long time evokes a certain sense of permanence, and, vaguely, immortality Although I dont believe in god. I think religion is just a 'happy package' devised by people themselves to make an easier transit through life.


this is an amazing portion of the path. I took this on the way down. Even during the day, one can hear that incessant sounds of the crickets.


This is a dhungedhara en route to the temple.


Nice, isn't it? This is the part of a small stupa near the lower temple of 'Hyangu Khwaa Maaju', meaning 'Red-Faced Goddess'. The upper temple is for 'Mhasu Khwaa Maaju', meaning, 'Yellow-Faced Goddess'. I wish I knew more about the temples, but I dont. The temples are well maintained and clean. One of the non-discovered places so far. Devoid of the clutter, the whole place looked quite serene and peaceful. I had a great time there.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sid said...

Nice read.

The last picture (though its not Buddha) reminded me of this conversation 'overheard in new york'-

There is a Buddha statue on the counter.

Teen girl #1: Wow, she has weird nipples.
Teen girl #2: I think it's a guy.
Teen boy: That's Gandhi. Duh.

--99 cent store, Hylan Boulevard

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sid is getting funnier by the day. isn't he milan?

nice post, by the way!

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home