Friday, August 05, 2005

Ironically funny incident

This one I have to write. You know, sitting in front of my machine, thinking of what to write and what to edit in this newspaper is quite a tough job, especially since I have to generate ideas and articles to write. Till now, I have a precious few patrons. So this is one of my brain-racking creations. You can be the judge of whether my brain is pathetic. After all, "brain is one thing that we have that animals don't" (yes, i know. animals do have them - but Mrs. Shalini Wadhwa, the CEO of BOSS magazine, told her audience in one of the magazine-launching ceremonies recently; and i thought, maybe there is some truth in it!).

So we're gonna move ahead now:

I was heading back from playing basketball at 'The Club' in Bhatbhateni (or bishalnagar?) with Sid and friends. Since I live in Lalitpur, I have to take the B'teni-Patandhoka bus to get home. It is a common fact that the bus crawls at andante, and it stops for hours in Bhatbhateni before if heading back. So I patiently waited, and the bus did move after a while. All along the way, it picked passengers... But I decided not to mind it. Besides, I was noticing interesting things from inside the bus. there was a big doko of oranges lodged between seats, giving a faint orangish aroma (my friend Anjani would've finished all!). The driver sported a nonenviable shock of long, curly hair (much like M. Jackson's). everything seemed quaintly suburban.

To cut the long story short, the bus reached Tundikhel. Suddenly, I realized that all buses go through the Purano Buspark. That's a black hole- when a bus enters, it never comes out. Well, I was too tired to get out of my seat, so I thought why not wait it out, I have the whole sunday.
I waited for about 2 hours, I think. honestly, I think it was lunch time or something (the engine was off, no driver, people dozing- know what i mean?). I decided I could not wait anymore. So I hopped off the bus, skipped over many dirty puddles, and got to teh main road.

There, with a leisurely pace, I walked with the confidence that a Microbus will pick me up- that's their trick of the trade. however, I could not hail one down even when I reached Singhadurbar. With a heavy heart, I trudged ahead. The road beyond S'durbar (where Sarbochha Adalat and Agri. Dev. Bank all are situated) is known for no stops, except for one on the other side, I kept looking back, straining my neck, hoping for a Microbus-ride, but to no avail.

So, readers, my ordeal was stretched to limits as I had to pass Maitighar on foot. Although I was sane enough to cut across the road and take the shortest path to Thapathali, and not to walk around the roundabout.

I FINALLY reached Thapathali. Here with an open call-out to God, I declared that I will renounce his faith if I do not get any form of transport there. Either because God got afraid, or because of the fact that Thapathali is a major stop for all public transport, I spotted a few stopped rides. However, there were no Microbuses. I saw a bus, and climbed aboard. I just sank in the closest empty seat ( i was in a position to ask an elderly to leave the seat for me in pity), and contemplated the situation. Something hit me in full force (I do not mean physically).

WHAT?!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was in the same bus I had deserted in the Purano Buspark! I saw that MJ-looking hairstyle of the driver to confirm the fact. What's more, my eyes met those of the driver, and I could swear that he was laughing. Smiling, at least!

Is this the most ironical situation one can ever be? I was so grateful to have found the bus, but I was too impatient to stay on the bus a while ago! Sheepishly I handed a 5-rupee note to the conductor, praying that he won't recongnize me, or at least not laugh at my face.

What should I make of this incident? What was all that about? Is that not the most inefficient way of traveling from one point to another? I have told this incident to many people. I get so worked up that I find it frustratingly funny. Much like laughing at Will Ferrell's antics in 'Old School'. Well, MAYBE like Sid's trouble with his newly purchased keyboard. People usually crack up when I recount my absurd anecdote- I guess that lightens things up.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHAAHHAHAHHA!

11:04 AM  
Blogger Sid said...

Dude, walking to anywhere is always better than sitting inside a stalled bus. That's second on my list of "Places I don't want to hang around for more than 10 minutes". The first is a hospital/clinic.

And thanks for featuring me twice in your story. By the way, are you taking music classes - staccato and andante. Microbuses are definitely allegro!

1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home