Monday, August 29, 2005

The Wiggly Forefinger

Disclaimer
I think I am getting wackier by the day. Considering that my days at KUSOM are numbered, I should be organizing my thoughts and be de-wacking myself. Bu then, I indulge in small pleasures, and it feels good.

Going Digital
I have recently found a way to test new limits of forebearance on my nears and dears. I have devised a new form of 'soma-signage' that is meant to complement my usual expressations. I would wiggle my forefinger in the direction of the listener- about 1-2 times every syllable that I speak, much like a tiny hand beckoning at the person.

The rule is, I would use my right forefinger when I am expressing any positive emotions ("Hi, Nidhi!"). I would use my left to express my negative emotions ("Oh, no!"). I would use both the fingers together to express a neutral comment ("Ramdai, a ka-dak black coffee for me, please"). And I would reverse my palm and wiggle at myself if I should be reflecting on something or thinking out aloud (again using the 1-2 wiggles per syllable rule).

Dynamic Medium
Nothing endures if it does not change. We live in a world that is constantly in a state of flux. Because of this, I am actively exploring new avenues to increase the wealth of my gestures. One of the new signs is currently in the pipeline. In this, a stiff forefinger, pivoted from the finger base, will trace out circles. I will use it when I am listening to a slow talker, to signify that I am getting impatient, and that could the talker please hurry. This will be a minor breakthrough, because this will be a new gesture that will not be used in conjunction with my talking. It will be employed strictly during my listening mode only.

Product Launch
The soft launch for this gesture is due tomorrow. The criteria for the performance of this new product is predominantly outcome-based, namely the extent of vexation apparent on the fellow conversationer's face. However, I still have not developed reliable metrics to guage this criteria.

Although the criteria for the performance of the finger language is impatience for now, my primary objective is something else. I dream of a workplace, where a manager can carry out his/her idea proposal from his/her mere fingertips. I envision a time and place where fingers do most of the talking. That's a revolutionary digit-al communication! One obvious advantage over the prevalent conventional digital world is that this new form is based on a quintary system rather than a binary system. This means that with same amount of communication material will hold more than twice the amount of information.

On a totally unrelated subject, I urge you to browse this site: http://www.factcheck.org/
The slogan of the website is "Holding Politicians Accountable". Very interesting site.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sid said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:46 AM  
Blogger Sid said...

Milan, kudos to you for breathing new life into the original digital communication, currently limited to only two uses - the pinky finger and the middle finger. Actually three, I forgot the 'thumbs up' gesture.

Anyway, email me your template in a txt file and I'll add that tagboard thingy.

1:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a excellent blog. Keep it going. Don't miss visiting this site about rosary tattoo regarding information on rosary tattoo

2:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home