Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Lying through your teeth

You know a fly has farted when you see it flying in a straight line...
-George Carlin

The most achieved liars are the raconteurs of bedtime stories and fantasy, like C.S. Lewis (Alice in Wonderland, Narnia Chronicles), J. K. Rowling, and the fabricators of religion, cinderella story, red riding hood, etc.

Lying harmlessly can be used as an amusement tool, if you really think about it. I sometimes employ prevarications and fabrications to amuse myself. It is fun making up something that sounds too weird to be true. But the catch is that it should only be a bit weird. And you have to be specific about it. It is like you are creating an event that might as well have happened, but you need to sprinkle some odd facts to make the listeners prick their ears yourway.

Like, you can say:

1. "you know, those music bands that play those Hindi movie songs in weddings. They inherently have this intense competition. Normally, one guy from some band company will sit down and translate the catchy songs into the band's notation. That notation script is so valuable that he does not normally let others see it. Often, ugly scuffles break out when somebody from another band company is caught stealing/plagiarizing the original notation."

2. "Chhinnze Tongg Maah! means I want to be your scrumptious petal in Vietnamese."

3. Long time ago, there was this divine being who hooked up with a talking and flying monkey with a handy tail and some odd animals, who helped make a floating rocky bridge to win back his love of life from a dude with 10 heads who had a golden kingdom on an island.

I consider myself an accomplished liar (of harmless type). After my delivery, I invariably see the awed expression. And a statement "really?!", after which I promptly reply, "Of course not...".

Too Weird Lies
Although, I also make up absurd events, making the listener know for sure it's a straight lie as soon as I say it.
But with the aim being to watch how he/she takes in and tries to digest the fabricated morsel. I would say something like:

1. "you know, I have found out how to communicate with the dogs."

2. "Once, immediately after watching Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone, I suddenly had this unexplained urge to concentrate on my room's door and run into it; the next thing i realized was that I was on the other side of it."

The listeners sometimes give me an 'you never change', or 'as if that can happen' look. But rarely, they find it laughing funny. Even more rarely, it backfires- the listener actually believes it. I think that was when I said "Once, I jumped from the roof of my house, and landed on the concrete completely intact." Tara you never know whether that (as in, somebody believing) actually happened!

;)

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home