Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Freakin' Chhath Parva!

i support cultural diversity, but not this way.
U know this Chhathh festival? Well, I guess you have, if u read newspapers. But most of u's have not seen the ugly side of it. On the stinky bank of Bagmati river, beside poor Prasuti Griha (maternity hospital), and smack opposite of the river from our house, every year, they clear a portion of land and stick shreds of paper and cloths in angry reds, blues and whites, and gather for a cultural flocking-together. Anddd, the event is always marked with boisterous music (which is really an oxymoron, if we consider the phrase). I hate to repeat, tara these organizers clearly are harmonically raw. Imagine a hell where irritating, bleak songs are on auto play. And they are on repeat mode. All night long. Hmm? Now tell me, how annoying is that!

It is hard to imagine this, but there are worse segments in this seemingly 'entertainment' agenda. Open mic sessions are hosted where Bhang!ed individuals can grab the karoake mic and sing to Kishor Kumar songs. One particular number etched in my mind... 'Mere dil mein aaj kya hai...' (What is in my heart today...) If he was within my arm's length, I'd have clearly shown him Mere mutthi (fist) mein kya hai... Then I'd have stepped back to watch him totter and tumble around the stage with a black eye, visibly shocked at the unexpected reaction, amid awed gasps from the 'audience'. I'd gladly have volunteered to dip him in the chilled, brackish waters of Bagmati in that wee hours of the Lalitpur dawn.

Have you ever been slowly beaten with a heavy, dull weapon of some sort?
I did. Last night felt like it. Okay, the songs are not THAT bad. They're like those 70s and 80s songs. But the music goes on for the WHOLE FREAKING NIGHT. (sorry, didn't mean to raise my voice). And for now, lets forget those baseless prabachans/dissertations that are strategically put in the entertainment series as if for punctuating effects. Basically, the whole package was very unawesome. I'd hate to sound ethnocentric, but I'm compelled. Although they must be having a gala time chillin' with their own homies, I will not be able to relate to their enthusiasms.

This is not making me feel better... It seems there's no use explaining my vexisms. I am just stupid angry. ARRRRGHHH!!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You seem to describe a contagious festivofever... your seem a winter woe, mine's summer... the "ye... lal rang..." on full volume mic i heard on krishnastami night 5 years ago across the street still ring in my head and i am taken back to the horrifying night
... best of luck buddy.

11:17 PM  
Blogger Sid said...

Should such situations come up again in the future, may I suggest a pair of ear plugs and a shot of brandy. Works for your cold too.

12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home