Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Mangala Mangala

I watched Mangal Pandey today. Somehow I knew it wouldnt be a great movie. Bollywood seriously lacks good directors. Even Ashutosh Gowariker wasnt his best in Lagaan, although his innovative direction wowed many. Lagan actually started off wonderfully, but Gowariker fumbled totally after that start of the cricket match. Aamir should do another movie with Ashutosh, I think. Regarding M. Pandey, one critic had said :
"I'm astonished. What was Aamir Khan trying to do with Ketan Mehta's Mangal Pandey? Going by the historical inaccuracy, detailing inconsistency and utter inanity of the finished product, one can merely hazard a guess. Perhaps, on some bizarre level, the actor was envious of Shah Rukh Khan's much-lampooned Asoka and decided to make his own history-rogering film where he could sport long hair and emerge gloriously out of bathwater. Tsk."
Well, here is one good thing that came out of the 'Mangal Pandey' phenomenon:
While we're at it, let me say that the Bachhans should be forever banned from acting, along with the Kapoors and the Deols. And most others, for that matter. Make way for new faces. And enough with these 'baring daring' movies. Those actresses are obviously not bold enough to bare. Or maybe it was the censor bored. I know that I for one definitely got bored. What I mean is, do it only if you could go all the way. Like in Kamasutra, A tale of love :D.
Ok, I watched 'Awara, Paagal, Deewana'. Don't ask why. Akshay Kumar and Sunil Shetty's in it. There is one scene that is a DITTO copy of Matrix's lobby scene. Frame by Frame! The only thing is that you see Akshay's unflattering self in place of Keanu! Also, I got to see this fight scene in another movie that is the DITTO dizzital copy of Neo's fight with numerous Smiths in that courtyard in Matrix Reloaded. Funny part: Akshays replace Smiths, and good ol' Salman plays Neo. It was pathetically funny!
Here are some of the indian movies I loved:
Satya
Black (altho Rani and Amitabh could have downplayed their overacting at places)
Kamasutra, A Tale of Love
Satyajit Ray's movies
Pakeezah
Masoom
Sahib, Bibi, aur Ghulam
Yuva (I only liked Abhishek and Rani's characters. I liked Dil Se much much better).
I hope they make more of the movies that I like. And please, no more songs. Maybe the director could put ALL the songs before or after the movie. But definitely not DURING.

1 Comments:

Blogger Homer said...

hahah, my cousin told me to watch this movie and I thought the same thing...

sometimes nothing beats a classic like back to the future!

11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home